He says - "The real you and the real me, outside our physical forms", live for ever.
Solve for Happy: Engineer Your Path to Happy by Mo Gawdat / Book notes: Solve for Happy by Mo Gawdat – Marlo Yonocruz
Mo Gawdat has been a top man at Google.
In 2001 Mo Gawdat was desperately unhappy.
He worked out that, in order to be happy, we need to try to understand how the brain takes in and processes joy and sadness.
After the sudden death of his son, Ali (a routine appendectomy in Dubai), Mo and his family turned to his equation for happiness - and it saved them from despair.
CHAPTER 1: SETTING UP THE EQUATION
Make your own list of things that make you happy
Unhappiness is when your reality does not match your hopes and expectations.
Happiness starts with a conscious choice
With no thoughts, we rerun to our default, childlike state: happiness
Those thoughts are there to serve you.
Remove the unhappy thought, replace it with a happy one, and let the rest take care of itself.
Like a Russian doll, you need to remove the layers one by one, trying to distinguish the real you from the roles you’ve assumed over the years until you find your pure self.
As much as you might think so, you are not the star of the movie.
Most of what happens around you isn’t about you at all.
There are infinite numbers of other movies, you were just a supporting actor.
- CHAPTER 5
Be a seeker of the truth, always ready to admit being wrong in order to continue the quest.
- CHAPTER 6
Happy emotions are mostly anchored in the present moment.
Whatever you’re upset about is rooted in a past you cannot change or a future that may turn out to be completely different from what you expect.
- CHAPTER 7
- The evidence shows that most of us tend to be negative most of the time.
- CHAPTER 10
Practice awareness and noticing things around you in your life.
While doing an activity, put your full attention and awareness into that activity.
- CHAPTER 11
- Try reframing ambition so that the focus is on the goal of becoming a better person regardless of how you compare to others
There’s no happiness without love. True love delivers lasting joy.
The more love you give, the more you get back.
The Law of Conservation or Multiplication of Love: Love never goes to waste.
- The more you give it away, the more loved you will feel
Once loved, most of them drop the masks and turn real.
Jott down everything about you that’s positive or admirable.
- The physical self is an illusion.
- Life is not the body that is subject to the limitations of space-time.
- The real you is the observer, not the physical form that represents you. That is what life really is
Everything we have will be left behind so why do we focus so much on our possessions?
- Nothing is really yours, and so nothing can be lost.
Letting go and allowing things to leave from your life allows for space and new things to come in.
Life is like a game in which the difficulty makes it fun, whereas easy would make it boring.
- Life is similar to a game in that we enter this level through a portal called birth and then leave it through death where we enter the next level.
- Death is just a portal to another life, and we never really die just our physical form.
- CHAPTER 14
There is no scientific way to prove something does not exist.
- Ultimately the math is clear, nothing is random. We’re all a part of a grand design
- The designer doesn’t run the show, his equations do.